July 27, 2021
Five things that made me happy today:
1. Did my front lawn duties this morning — edging and sweeping both sides of the duplex. It takes about 45 minutes. And it’s really too damn hot, even at 7 am. But it looks great.
2. Got what I believe is the next step handled in getting Ruby registered for school. Good grief. We’re still a few days away from actually enrolling her in classes.
3. Most of these plants (see below) are volunteer corn plants from the dried corn that I feed the rabbits and squirrels and birds. Who knew it was so high-yield? The corn it produces is more like a wide spot in the grass stem so the dried corn is a hybrid that doesn’t breed true.
4. I had planted some sprouted potatoes in a big pot by the front door to make vines, fast, earlier in the summer. And they did. I cleaned out the pot today to put that big coleus plant in it. The potatoes had lots of little potatoes on the roots — which I gave to my neighbor as potatoes are on my Avoid List these days.
5. The pesky puzzle is still not done. It still makes me happy to work on it for 30 or 40 minutes and get a few more pieces plugged in. Soon I will have a picture of the completed puzzle.
I’d love to hear what made you happy today.