December 19, 2021
Five things that made me happy today:
1. Church included our annual Christmas pageant, complete with shepherds, angels, lambs, the baby Jesus and their parents, some wise men, a king (I think), and a large gold star that guided the wise men around the sanctuary. Plus some carol singing. It was pretty crazy.
2. The Soto gang and I drove to Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge to see the hundreds and thousands of snow geese that winter there. It’s a spectacular sight. They clump near the road and are pretty restless, with smaller groups taking fight and landing nearby. Ruby got some great shots of the dark adults with beautiful wing feathers. See below.
3. Ruby and I went to the East Dallas Christian Church annual Christmas concert tonight. It’s just amazing. We sat near the front with a couple of empty pews beyond us, so we could really see all the musicians and singers. I found this concert when I moved back to Dallas in 2010 and I’ve gone almost every year. I love it. Ruby circled her favorites in the program.
4. When we went back to our car, some woman was standing right next to it and I thought I might have to tell her to leave so I could drive away but it was Lorlee Bartos, who could recognize my fine yellow car. (She had parked her bright green one nearby!) Old ladies and their cars.
5. While we were gone to Hagerman today, a Christmas elf delivered a tin of homemade cookies, also a First U Christmas custom. They host a party for the over 70 set and assemble a tin of cookies for each of us. I didn’t make the party, so they delivered my cookies. Feeling cherished.
I’d love to hear what made you happy today. My cup overfloweth.