August 13, 2021
Five things that made me happy today:
1. One of the men at the car wash was operatically singing the directions to pull into the conveyor apparatus for the wash. He was having fun. So I did too.
2. Washing a bright yellow car is a trip in itself. Max was with me and we used the towels from the car wash to polish the outside (every little splot and bug), dry out the insides of the door frames, wipe off the dash and inside the windshield, etc. It’s definitely Chop Wood, Carry Water.
(Any time you’d like to borrow a yellow car to see how it works, give me a call.)
3. One of the Bengals got something on his lower back a couple of weeks ago and can’t get it off, so his hair is matted and uncomfortable. I’ve been researching what to do and looking for a cat groomer. Today I took some good haircut scissors, a detangling comb, talked to him about the process, and proceeded. We didn’t finish but we pulled out enough hair to make a small bunny, and got several of the mats reduced, and brushed enough to see his beautiful black cat skin under the tangles. He purred all the way through it, got up and walked away a couple of times, but came right back to re-engage. Tomorrow — even more. His name is Huge Black Cat.
4. This occasion pulled up a memory of my mom working on Francis, our long-haired black and white who lived to be about 20. A neighbor poured boiling water on him and burned one side of his body, which probably produced some of those same mats that pulled on his tender skin. I seem to remember her bent over him, brushing him, and talking in soothing tones about what she was doing.
And I could be completely dreaming that. Katie Foster Dunn?
5. To-Go food with Max and Ruby. Our chicken turned rancid in the fridge and we couldn’t bear to fix it. So we ate to-go and talked movies and weekend plans. First week of school for Ruby = done.
You? I’d love to hear what made you happy — any day.